The One Show's HAATBP

HAATBP (Here Are All The Black People) is a space for talent to be found, developed and molded, where students and creative professionals advance their careers. This was my second year at attendance at the HAATBP conference. This year's event was particularly outstanding. At a different location, it was a bigger space with a huge turnout. I got to meet people from all levels in the industry including a lot of familiar faces. Amongst those were recruiters I had met previously, mentors I aspire to be like, and of course some BICsters!
Committed to driving change in the industry, HAATBP hosts recruiters from many agencies and industry professionals that care and are there to answer any questions you may have or even take your resume if interested in an open position. This year the BIC program had their very own table where Rebecca led the conversation on what exactly is the BIC Program and what it is all about. With a passion for diversifying the industry, tabling at HAATBP was a perfect opportunity for BIC, as their missions are aligned.
The panel of speakers was absolutely amazing. The one that stood out to me the most was  “#Metoo, #TimesUp, Now What?” conversation with Katherine Gordon of the 3% conference, Lynn Brannigan of sherunsit.org, Matt Neale CEO of Golin, and Mary Pryor of Be Cannalusive. The passion of these speakers was incredible. They not only talk the talk but they walk the walk on the path towards diversity of backgrounds, races, but more importantly the diversity of thought.

“Men are becoming aware of what not to do. Someone needs to tell them what to do.” - Kat Gordon. This quote stood out to me because historically in advertising men ran the industry and women had to prove themselves for decision-making roles. In such a hypersensitive society it seems as if the men in the industry are more cautious of what not to say or do but are they helping drive change or are other groups just continuing to push boundaries? I’d say I got the privilege to meet Matt Neale a few times and hold conversations with him and he truly believes D&I creates better work.
Meeting Derek ‘Fonzworth Bentley’ Watkins was pretty awesome as well, I got to admit. He truly invokes the very essence of coolness and elegance, and these two qualities are precisely what set him above the rest. Named by “GQ magazine” as the First Gentleman of Hip Hop, Fonzworth Bentley, born Derek Watkins, has a sense of style and impeccable manners which have earned him a reputation as a man of class and excellence as an artist, an expert in fashion, and as a pop culture figure. His opening keynote was very inspiring and I hope to inspire others one day the way he inspires me.



The day just kept getting better as I got to attend workshops. I signed up for the first mentoring session: “Don’t Get Stuck: Plan Your Career For How the World Really Works”. In this session, I learned how to manage my career and avoid burnout before I even really get started. This was truly impactful because as I approach getting my Master’s Degree and embarking on new opportunities I want to be able to have longevity with an agency and not bounce around until I find somewhere I can see myself at permanently. The speakers were: Vann Graves, VCU Brandcenter; Jimmy Smith, Amusement Park; Juan Woodbury, Leo Burnett/HKX; Piper Hickman, 360i. I gained so much even from listening to their very own experiences.
My favorite part of the whole event was the live talent pitch. This is where people can pitch their story and their positioning to the judges. The presenters were all so amazing and brave for putting themselves out there. I truly hope to continue to be a part of The One Club’s HAATBP in the future. I have been so fortunate to have great mentors that I aspire to continue to grow in the industry and mentor others.
I got to connect with individuals in the industry. One of the most beneficial parts of the day was getting the chance to showcase my portfolio. Having to sign up in advance I worked on it and kept an open mind for feedback. I received some valuable feedback that had helped me prepare for the Portfolio in Progress (PIP) networking event as well as the Portfolio Boot Camp, both of which are required by the BIC program in order to leave with more than just a degree, but a portfolio to showcase your work.


Popular posts from this blog

AdWeek 2018, 1 Year Later | William Howard

Brand Film Awards and Workshop 2020 | Starley J Sandez

2020 Adobe MAX Conference | Shadiq Williams