Transcending a Brand with Will Smith


Knowing that Ad week is one of the largest gatherings of some of the most innovative minds in main stream media and advertising, I was definitely excited for my first time attending. Of course, it did not disappoint. Pop-Ups, thought leaders, swag, illuminating conversations and endless passion, was found at every point of that week and I overwhelmed.

One of the many conferences that I had attended was a Brand Marketing conversation with Will Smith. Besides the fact that I am a huge fan, he has brilliantly been able to reinvent himself and remain on the current pulse of culture. Here he shares some of his recent lessons in self-branding and personally, I thought his conversation was important because it spoke about how a person’s purpose and story can expand and support each other throughout time.



I
“When storytelling, lean in...how is inspiring?”
Mr. Smith mentioned in his lifetime that the most successful work has been the ones with a great story. Specifically, a story that has been inspiring people and giving insight into the human experience. He also mentions that the more effort he gave in creating a journey for other people, the more the energy that was reciprocated. Both these points are a beautiful example of how true connection to another person lies in our ability to share our journeys, our stories and gather together on human truths.


II
“Don’t Narrow your Artistry”
I love this part of the interview because he speaks about doing whatever you feel is necessary to tell your story, despite your titles. He goes on to say that you are a person made up of many parts, so why would your self expressions be limited to just one form. For example if you are a writer, should you be limited to only writing? If you are a painter, should you only be noted for your paintings? He challenged the audience to not see themselves as these singular narratives. He uses his own life as he navigated through Music, Acting, and now sharing on social media.


This! Is! What! I’m! Talking! About!

I have felt like this for years, so this was great to hear an idol reinforce this idea. We are so used to placing ourselves in boxes/labels, like I am a designer so I will design, that we continue this pattern in the way we choose to express ourselves. When really how I express my stories are full of words, sound, movement and visuals. This means that the medias I decide to use should not be limited either. Hence, one of the reasons why I think how we communicate is so integrated now a days. We are learning to express ourselves using all forms of communication.

III
“Nothing is more valuable than your gut”
Will Smith ended his talk with a bang of inspiration by encouraging us to trust ourselves. He mentions in his interview that yes, measurements are important but it is your gut, that extra leap of faith that will make your project/work extraordinary. This to me is important because it shows how great communications is more than just finding statistics for a logical solution. It’s also about tapping into personal instinct and taking some risk, that pushes your work further.


Now even though people will characterize Will Smith as just an actor, he is proven himself to be a master at communications. In the interview alone, I was able to learn how to make a brand resonate through engaging storylines, how to optimize on my media and a balanced formula between numbers & ‘guts’ to better create as an art director.

I believe this is what true integrate communications is. Being able to express in many different ways as different people but sharing and understanding in the similarities of our journeys.


Popular posts from this blog

2020 Adobe MAX Conference | Shadiq Williams

AdWeek 2018, 1 Year Later | William Howard

Brand Film Awards and Workshop 2020 | Starley J Sandez